I bought this Liberty Ceasar fabric about a year ago at Shaukat in London, and have been saving it for the perfect project ever since. I was so excited to do this project I even made a colour board (I’ve been making a lot of these lately!) I first started making this tank top in the dress version. I cut out a medium, but it ended up being too big for me (I know it’s supposed to be baggy, but this was definitely too baggy for me and the arm holes drooped too low for my liking.) So I ended up cutting it down to a size small then cutting off the bottom to make it a tank top instead of a dress. In the end, I think dress version wouldn’t have complimented my body shape anyways, because the dress is sewn in a straight line on the sides, and I have pretty curvy hips….
Overall, the top was pretty quick to sew up – I probably spent the majority of my time and effort placing the pattern pieces on the fabric and cutting it out – I only had a limited amount of the fabric and I was also trying to be careful about matching up the print on the fabric so that the pieces would match on the edges from back to front. I managed to get the fabric print on the pocket placed nearly perfectly to blend in with the rest of the top.
The next project that I have just started working on is a wearable muslin of Megan Nielsen’s Banksia top. I’m using free spirit cotton fabric in royal blue. I’ll keep you posted with how it goes!