I just finished a new dress ~ Colette Pattern’s Lily. I haven’t made that many garments from Colette, so I was excited to try this one. (Btw, have you seen the new one that came out today? The Hawthorn dress. Not sure how I feel about it yet…) The construction was fairly straight forward, the only thing that I found a bit complicated was the front side panels with the pockets. Once I figured that out everything came together easily.
I made the dress with nani IRO little letter double gauze. I’m obviously IN LOVE with nani IRO (considering how make so many things with it) but who wouldn’t be!? I picked up the contrast fabric from The Workroom – it’s just plain quilting cotton, but I think the colour really compliments the flowers in the print.
The dress is fully lined with a white cotton polyester fabric. I decided to line it because the cotton gauze was slightly see through and it’s more comfortable to have silky-feeling fabric against your skin. There are no instructions on how to do the lining, which is unfortunate… I had to overlay a couple of the pattern pieces that makes up the front-side pocket panel to figure out the correct shape, without making an internal pocket. It was a bit complicated, but I eventually figured it out. I wish most patterns had an option for lining.
I really like making these little computer drawings (above) of what my dress will look like with the fabric I choose. It helps me keep focused on what I want to make and it’s so so exciting to see how similar the final product looks compared to the rendering.